You must follow all of the requirements below to qualify for a Midland Area Community Foundation scholarship.
In order to be considered for the Midland Area Community Foundation scholarships, you must be a resident of the appropriate county(ies) the scholarship serves. NOTE: some specific company and member organization
scholarships are exempt from this requirement.
For purposes of the Midland Area Community Foundation scholarship program, you are considered a resident of either Midland or Gladwin County if you are a United States citizen and one of the following additional conditions apply:
- Applicant has been a legal resident of either Midland or Gladwin County for at least a year
- Applicant is a current high school senior graduating from a Midland or Gladwin County high school
- Applicant is a college student who is a Midland or Gladwin County resident and moved out of the county only for the specific purpose of going away to college
For purposes of the Midland Area Community Foundation scholarship program, you are ineligible if you are:
- An individual who moved to the area for the specific purpose of attending college here
- An individual who moved away from Midland/Gladwin County for a purpose other than going away to college
- An individual who has never lived in Midland/Gladwin County
- Not a United States citizen
After you have read through the guidelines, carefully choose the scholarships for which you would like to apply. You can search by category via the Find Your Scholarship link, or view the entire list at the Scholarship List link. Be sure to read each description closely to make sure that you fit all requirements.
An applicant who is nominated for more than one scholarship will be awarded the two highest-valued scholarships, or, if the total value of those two scholarships is less than $2,000, the minimum number of remaining scholarships, if any, for which the student was nominated shall be awarded, in decreasing order of value, until either a) all remaining scholarships are awarded, or b) the sum of all scholarships awarded equals or exceeds $2,000.
Essays should to be written prior to accessing eGRANT so that when prompted, you can copy the essay into your electronic application.
Please see the individual scholarship descriptions to know what information should be included in each essay. Many scholarships do not have essay requirements, in which case the essay topic is entirely up to the student.
Students are permitted to submit the same essay for different scholarships. Please note, all scholarship essays must be 400 words or less. Any text over 400 words will not be accepted.
- Applicants must request official transcripts from ALL schools attended since 2006 (high school and all colleges). High school transcripts will be requested through e-grant as part of the application process (a drop down list of all area high schools is provided there for you to choose from). Most college/university transcripts must be requested and/or purchased by you directly, please have them sent directly to the foundation at 76 Ashman Circle, Midland, MI 48640 or have them emailed to the foundation at email@example.com. (Please note: transcripts delivered by the applicant or a family member will NOT be accepted).
- Applicants must have references from TWO individuals. References cannot be family or friends; they should be from an employer, teacher, professor, etc. References should be uploaded through e-grant as part of the application process. Physical letters sent to the foundation will not be accepted. Further instructions appear on the eGrant site.
- The application must be completed IN ITS ENTIRETY and MUST BE SUBMITTED on eGRANT by 5 PM on Monday, March 1, 2016. The applicant is responsible to assure that all other materials which are being sent by others (two reference letters, transcripts from all schools attended) have also arrived by the same deadline. Please call our office if you want to confirm that materials have arrived (989-839-9661).
- DO NOT send materials other than those requested -- for example, resumes, cover letters or other materials, attachments or extra sheets will not be seen by the selection committees.
- FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS CLOSELY. Variations will cause immediate disqualification.
- All required materials are due by Monday, March 1, 2016. This includes all transcripts from all previously attended educational institutions (both high school and college(s) if applicable).
- If the APPLICANT or APPLICANT'S FAMILY/FRIENDS delivers the transcripts or reference forms to the Foundation directly, the application will not be accepted.
You may need to make your reference and transcript requests VERY EARLY to assure timely delivery of your materials.
Information that may be Needed for eGRANT Form
There are a number of items that are required to filling out the eGRANT form. Use the following check-off list to ensure you have the information you need. (Not every piece of information you will need is on this list such as name, address etc, but we have included the information that we feel you may not know from memory.) We offer a wide range of scholarships to people in all walks of life, therefore, all information may not apply to you. If something does not apply to you, please skip the question and continue.
If you've applied previously you should use the same login and password to access your eGRANT profile.
___ County of Residence
___ Last Four Digits of Social Security Number
___ ACT Score
___ SAT Score
___ High School Grade Point Average
___ Number of College Semesters Completed by Aug. of This Year
___ College Grade Point Average
___ Anticipated Expenses (tuition, room/board, books, for the coming college year)
___ Total Value of Any Other Scholarships you Have Received
___ Amount of Eligible Student Loans Available
___ Description (100 characters or less) of Any Applicable or Unusual Financial Situations
___ Description (400 characters or less) of Extracurricular or Community Service Activities
___ Description (400 characters or less) of Employment History
Please Complete Before Accessing eGRANT
Make sure you complete the following steps before accessing the eGRANT form:
___ Read the scholarship guidelines and requirements
___ Read the scholarship descriptions and decide which you would like to apply for
___ Write your essays electronically, ready to copy/paste into the eGRANT form