Public Arts Midland: Out of the Box
2022 Call to Artists:
The Public Arts Midland committee invites artists in Midland county to submit an application to design and paint one of eight city owned utility boxes in and around the downtown Midland area in July of 2022. These boxes, or 3D mini murals, range in size approximately 3’W x 5’H x 2’D to 6’W x 7.5’H x 2.25’D and are to be painted on all four sides.
Murals have always been powerful tools to educate and inform community members over a wide variety of topics. As Public Arts Midland’s vision statement notes, “We believe that art connects, heals, inspires, teaches, and speaks to us in myriad ways that build stronger and more vibrant communities.” Public art gives our community a collective voice and a platform to express these values, while also bringing awareness to the beauty of our city’s physical and cultural landscape. These murals are to be family friendly and a captivating addition to the downtown scene and surrounding areas.
Each artist will receive an honorarium between $400 and $900, depending on which utility box they are chosen to work on. Additionally, artists will also receive a paint budget to coincide with the size of the designated box. Public Arts Midland will supply project specific paint and artists may choose their own colors. Full details on stipend and paint budget will be disclosed once the artists are selected and assigned specific utility boxes.
Artists will be selected based on the quality of artwork/artistic excellence, creativity, originality, and technical skill. The Public Arts Midland committee aims to select a dynamic artist or artist group whose work may encompass a broad range of art styles, while representing the diversity of our community.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS
- Artists are responsible for the entire mural execution including the hiring and paying of assistants, if the artist so chooses, EXCEPT that the primer coat and top coat will be applied by the PAM Committee.
- Artists are expected to complete the murals during the month of July.
- Artists are expected to be mindful & considerate of the public and surrounding areas while working on the utility box project.
To be considered, applicants must include the following:
- Proposed design for utility box. See template for approximate proportions. Please save your file in this format: LastName_FirstName_Box22.jpg
- Small portfolio (2-5 images) of past paint based artwork.
- Artist statement: To include biography, website, and/or social media
- Submit a preliminary list of colors needed to create your design. Please reference paint codes from Sherwin Williams. The paint required for this project is specialty, so we need to limit artists to 5-7 colors (outside of black and white, which will be provided). You can mix your own additional shades from those, and potentially share with other artists.
- The subject line when applying must read Outside The Box 2022, emailed to email@example.com.
- Monday, May 2, 2022: Application Opens
- Sunday, June 5, 2022 at 11:59 P.M. (EST): Application Closes
- Monday, June 6 – Friday, June 10, 2022: Committee Review
- Monday, June 13, 2022: Artists Selection and Notification
- Friday, July 1 – Sunday, July 31, 2022: Painting of the Murals
For more information on procedures and application submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TERMS, CONDITIONS, RESERVATION OF RIGHTS
Understand if selected, artists allow Public Arts Midland to document mural production process via photography and video. Additionally, artists must agree to actively participate in video interviews.
Understand that each mural location may have unique parameters to work within including location, size, materials, installation, etc. We ask artists to be adaptable, innovative, and flexible.
Artists may choose to use the template below to design their submission if they so choose. Right click and save image on your computer, or click and hold the image to save to your camera roll on mobile devices.