Cultural Awareness Month and Creativity Contest
2021 Cultural Awareness Month Theme:
Sharing our Stories of Connection and Reconnection
Please join the Cultural Awareness Coalition during the month of October to reflect upon the ways we have maintained and redefined connections in our community through the challenges brought by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The global pandemic has brought loss and isolation and revealed vast inequities in our communities, organizations, and systems. Compounding the impact of the pandemic are the feelings of divisiveness and uncertainty for our future. Yet, throughout this experience we have discovered new ways of engaging and connecting, new ways to maintain relationships and develop new ones, and discovered new opportunities to work together and reconnect. Please join the Cultural Awareness Coalition during the month of October to reflect upon our experiences as individuals and as a community and share the ways we have maintained and redefined connections in our community.
Creativity Contest Information:
Cultural Awareness Month Events:
- September 23: The Breaking Bread Village Live, hosted at Creative 360.
- September 25: NEA Big Read Block Party Kick-Off – The House on Mango Street. A Party Celebrating Neighborhoods and Hispanic Culture. 1-5pm, Creative 360
- September 27-October 3: Neighboring Week
- October 6: Big Read Event – Tattered Houses – mixed media class from 6-8 pm in the Creative 360 Artroom (in conjunction with the National Endowment of the Arts and Grace A. Dow Memorial Library)
- October 8: Mariachi Herencia de Mexico 7:30pm, Midland Center for the Arts
- October 19: “Going Global: Beyond Japan and the US” book event with Tsune Kawakita from 6:30-8:30 pm, Creative 360
- October 21: Creativity Contest Reception at 6:30 pm, Creative 360
- October 23: Save the Date! Anti-Racist Midland, in collaboration with Cultural Awareness Coalition, will host the Black Voices of Midland Gala – details TBD
- October 23: Black Violin 7:30pm, Midland Center for the Arts
- November 5: Karim Sadjadpour 7:30pm, Midland Center for the Arts