Midland Area Community Foundation Gifts $10,000 to Construction Talent Attraction ProgramOctober 25th, 2023
In celebration of its 50th anniversary, the Midland Area Community Foundation is proud to announce a gift of $10,000 to the Construction Talent Attraction Program. This initiative aligns with the community’s focus area of Developing Our Talent. Projects that foster an environment of talent development and retention, postsecondary success, and youth engagement are in sync with the focus area of Developing Our Talent.
As part of its anniversary celebration, the Community Foundation has already contributed $10,000 each to various projects reflecting the community’s other three focus areas:
- Caring For Our People: $10,000 to upgrade the Miracle Field’s restroom to a Changing Places Restroom, elevating accessibility.
- Building Our Livelihood: $10,000 to the Midland Business Alliance to provide supplementary awards to all Midland Young Professionals’ (MYPros) Community Crowdfund recipients, supporting business development in Midland County.
- Enriching Our Community: $10,000 to support future Neighboring Week efforts, a grassroots movement encouraging Midland County residents to connect with and support one another through neighboring.
“For 50 years, the Foundation has been investing in the community by creating a way for individuals, families, businesses, and organizations to contribute to community wellbeing,” said Sharon Mortensen, President & CEO of the Midland Area Community Foundation. “By gifting $40,000 [total] to the community’s focus areas and an additional $10,000 to a yet-to-be-named initiative, the Foundation is gifting $50,000 to celebrate 50 years of impact in Midland County.”
The Construction Talent Attraction Program is specifically designed to attract and retain individuals who have completed postsecondary education milestones and plan to work for construction businesses in Midland County with a physical address. The program addresses the decreasing employment trend in the construction industry within Midland County compared to the state of Michigan.
Key features of the program include:
- Loan Repayment: The program offers a unique form of support by providing loan repayment, often called a post-graduation or “reverse” scholarship, to individuals choosing to work in the construction industry in Midland County.
- Talent Attraction: Recognizing the community’s critical needs, talent attraction programs like this are vital in bringing skilled individuals to Midland County.
- Educational Partnership: Unlike traditional scholarships that provide assistance in completing postsecondary education, this program collaborates with individuals who have completed their education and, in addition, helps to meet the needs of the local construction industry.
To qualify for the Construction Talent Attraction Program, recipients must:
- Be employed or self-employed in a construction-related business with a physical office in Midland County.
- Reside in Midland, Gladwin, or Clare Counties (all served by Midland Area Community Foundation).
- Hold a bachelor’s degree, an associate’s degree, or certification in a building-related trade or skill from a college or community college.
The Community Foundation recognizes that strategically focusing on the construction industry to alleviate potential challenges and contribute to the region’s overall growth moves Midland County toward becoming a community where everyone thrives. By investing in this talent attraction program, the Foundation aims to bridge the gap between education and employment, supporting the community and the local construction sector.
“The Community Foundation addresses issues difficult to pursue via other avenues,” said Mortensen. “Our focus on critical community needs, including talent attraction and retention, is an essential area of focus for the Foundation.
The first awards are anticipated to be given in the spring of 2024. More details on how to apply will be announced in the coming months.
For more information about the Construction Talent Attraction Program and other initiatives supported by the Midland Community Foundation, please visit midlandfdn.org, call 989-839-9661, or email email@example.com.